Sunday 8 June 2014

MAC Alluring Aquatics Seduced At Sea, Lorelei and Mystical



It's Alluring...It's Aquatic...And it's just simply irresistible! MAC's Alluring Aquatics limited edition collection just reached Aussie shores this week and if you're a sucker for extra dimensions collections, I say drop everything and get your fingers to your nearest MAC counter for a swatchfest. 
The Collection contains two Bronzing Powders, two Extra Dimensions Bronzers, two extra dimensions blushes, six extra dimensions eyeshadows, five lipsticks, two brushes and three nail polishes. Here are a few of my picks from this mermaid-esque collection.






L - R:
extra dimensions eyeshadow in "Lorelai"
extra dimensions blush in "Seduced At Sea"
Cremesheen lipstick in "Mystical"

I visited on the second day of their release and already, some items were sold out. Even though I was calling for the sales girls and pointing at the collection like a maniac, I didn't get my hands on the everything that I wanted. But I am still Ecstatic that I got an eyeshadow in Lorelai - a golden champagne shimmer, a blush in Seduced At Sea - a plummy coral with a tiny hint of gold and a cremesheen lipstick in Mystical - a sheer rusty red.

The packaging is getting a lot of love all around the world but I actually hate it. There are 3D dew drops stuck onto the container and whenever I touch it, I just feel like there is goo on my makeup and I want to scratch it off. I prefer my packaging to be chic and sophisticated and not gimmicky so I don't really like the 3D bobs on it.

Below I have created a MAC face using the following permanent range products;
Face:
Studio Fix Fluid NC20
Pro Longwear Concealer NC15
Mineralize Concealer NC20
Select Sheer Pressed Powder NC20
Eyes:
Pro Longwear Paintpot in Soft Ochre
Eyeshadow in Soft Brown (crease)
Eyeshadow in Lorelai (lid)
Cheeks:
Blush Seduced At Sea
MSF Soft and Gentle
Blush Harmony (bronzer)
Lips:
Cremesheen Lipstick Mystical


Close up of Lorelai to capture the colour. It is a seriously amazing shade!



The wear of the blush Seduced At Sea is above average although if you were wanting to go out for a few drinks after a whole day in the office, I definitely suggest carrying this in your makeup bag so you can reapply before a night out in town. It is quite a natural colour with very little sheen which is surprising since it swatches quite shimmery. The shimmer in the blush translates into a beautiful glow once blended out on the apples of your cheeks. 

The eyeshadow in Lorelai is a gorgeous colour. However, it is quite a common champagne eyeshadow. I'm sure every brand has a shade similar to this so it's not something that I consider unique. It is also quite sheer, so you do have to work to build up the colour. I was considering to spray my brush with some setting spray to intensify the colour more. But in the following days that I've tried this eyeshadow out, I've opted to use a darker base (paint pot in Groundwork) which looked great. I definitely think the darker base gives the eyeshadow a deeper dimension that using the lighter base (Soft Ochre).

The Lipstick in Mystical is a sheer plummy coral and as it is a cremesheen it is really nourishing and comfortable to wear on the lips. It does stain the lips which I love because it means I won't look like I've forgotten to put lipstick on once I've had a snack or some coffee. I'd say the lipstick lasts maximum 4 hours but due to the fact it's a creme sheen, a lot of pigment comes off once you drink a beverage or eat. A lip liner would definitely pro-long it. MAC Whirl is at the top of my shopping list.

I rummaged around and found some dupes lying around in my makeup collection so if you gave this collection a miss, these are some alternatives you could opt for.
L - R: Sleek blush in Sunrise, MAC Seduced At Sea
L - R: Sleek blush in Sunrise, MAC Seduced At Sea
L - R: Sleek blush in Sunrise, MAC Seduced At Sea
Seduced at Sea really is a unique colour for me as I didn't own a colour quite like this before. I usually always opt for pinks, peach and Nars Orgasm-esque shades so I was extremely excited about it. But after a few swatches, it started to look more and more similar to my Sleek blush in Sunrise. Now in terms of texture, blend ability etc, Sleek is way way behind. I have owned this blush for about 7 months now, and have never actually used it on my face. It's super powdery, very pigmented, not very blend able and stains. The colour however, is almost the same. (aside from the fact that Sunrise is more pigmented).

L - R: All That Glitters, Lorelai
L - R: All That Glitters, Lorelai
Lorelai and All That Glitters come from the same champagne family except, Lorelai takes after their dad Gold and All That Glitters take after their mother Pink. The texture is a little different, extra dimensions feels more like cream products where as the normal eyeshadow range is a little more powdery with more fall out. Colour pay off however is similar if not exactly the same.


L - R: Mystical, Etoile
I couldn't find a real dupe to Mystical as I used to go for super bright reds when I was working to super nudes now that I'm a stay at home mum. I haven't really ventured into the in-between. One that I found to be sort of similar in colour in Chanel's Rouge Coco in #80 Etoile. Etoile is more pigmented whereas Mystical is more creamy and sheer.

This collection has totally brought me back to MAC after my disappointing experience with their pre-made neutrals eyeshadow palettes and I can't wait until the next MAC limited edition comes out. Have you checked out this collection? What are your thoughts on the packaging?


Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

a penny for your thoughts?