Tuesday 19 August 2014

Chanel Illusion D'ombre Cream Eyeshadow in 95 Mirage



I may be a little late in talking about this Illusion D'Ombre. It was released as part of Chanel's Summer collection but this may be your last little push to purchase before it's gone for good. This colour has been on my radar for months now but I had been putting it off as I simply just had too much but when I recently had a chance to acquire this at a discount price, I was unable to resist.






heavy swatch
blended out
applied all over the lid with Bobbi Brown Sable blended into the crease

#95 Mirage is a beautiful everyday-suitable bronze shadow for your lids. I think this is a colour for everybody no matter the skin tone or eye colour. It blends beautifully with your fingers if you want to achieve an opaque colour as well as with a brush for a more sheer finish. In the photo above I patted the cream shadow over my lids with my fingers and used a brush to blend it into the crease so seamlessly connect it to the matte Bobbi Brown eyeshadow. The photo does wash out the colour a little but you get the idea that it is a very natural and soft finish to the lids. No one will be giving you the "phwoar you're wearing too much makeup" for a housewife speech. 

The brush that comes in the box is not the most ideal for application of this product as I just don't believe it is stiff enough to pack on the colour. Much of the product is lost between the bristles. I prefer to use my Bobbi Brown Cream Shadow Brush which is much more dense and stiff.

Here are some comparisons to similar cream eyeshadows that I own. I will review and compare them in the order that I have swatched them.



Bobbi Brown, By Terry, Chanel, MAC, Dior, Maybelline
Bobbi Brown, By Terry, Chanel, MAC, Dior, Maybelline 
Bobbi Brown Longwear Cream Shadow Stick in Bronze: This is almost an exact identical shade as Mirage. However, due to its pencil form, the product is applied much more opaque than cream shadow from a pot.

By Terry Ombre Black Star in Bronze Moon: This colour is slightly darker with a deeper brown undertone. In person, Bronze Moon is also more shimmery. Again, a much opaque colour from the pencil form of application.

Chanel Mirage

MAC Pro Longwear Paintpot in Indianwood: This pot of creamy goodness is much more golden/orange toned. The colour is also more pigmented than Chanel.

Diorshow Fusion Mono Cream Eyeshadow in Meteore: This product is very sheer in colour and packed in with glitter. This one is more golden in finish as the entire pot is filled with fine golden glitter flakes.

Maybelline Colour Tattoo in Bad to the Bronze: This is the drugstore alternative to Chanel's Mirage. It leans more pewter than golden so it is not as warm as Mirage.


When I was trying to wipe the swatches off with a dry tissue, this is what remained. As you can see, Mirage and Dior's Meteore wiped off pretty much instantaneously but Bobbi Brown, By Terry, MAC and Maybelline all partially remained. I guess this shows Mirage is not able to withstand any harsh rubbing. However, they lasted fine and did not crease on my lids.

These little pots of Chanel goodness are still available from Chanel counters in Australia if you want to quickly dash out and get this before it goes off the shelves!

No comments:

Post a Comment

a penny for your thoughts?